Movable Python or ActivePython

balzer nospam at news.eternal-september.org
Fri May 7 08:31:32 EDT 2010

"Sridhar Ratnakumar" <sridharr at activestate.com> wrote in message
news:mailman.2638.1273083585.23598.python-list at python.org...

On 2010-05-05, at 5:47 AM, balzer wrote:

> I want Python pack that can run without being installed, mostly for
> testing programs. As I read, Movable Python can run without being
> installed. It needs no registry entries and knows the path to all the dlls
> (system or otherwise) that it uses.
> Whats about ActivePython
> http://www.activestate.com/activepython/downloads? Does it requires
> installation?

The .MSI installer does require installation, but there is also a .ZIP
package which doesn't. It is not visible in the downloads page, but you can
always get it here:

    http://downloads.activestate.com/ActivePython/releases/2.6.5.12/
    (substitute with latest version)

When I just tried the "ActivePython-2.6.5.12-win64-x64.zip" on my Win7 x64
machine - by extracting and running python.exe (from INSTALLDIR/) without
installing - it just worked.

-srid