unable to get Hudson to run unit tests

j vickroy jim.vickroy at noaa.gov
Fri May 7 14:44:01 EDT 2010

Hello,

I apologize if this is not the appropriate forum for a question about
Hudson (http://hudson-ci.org/), but I did not know where else to ask and
my web searches have not been fruitful.

I'm attempting to use Hudson to run nose
(http://somethingaboutorange.com/mrl/projects/nose/0.11.3/) unit tests
but without success.

The Hudson job configuration contains the following entry in the
**Source Code Management** section:

svn://vm-svn/GOES data processing/trunk/GOES/13,14,15/SXI/level-1

which successfully retrieves the desired project code from the
subversion repository.

The *Build* section, of the job configuration page, contains the
following entry:

"C:\Python26\Scripts\nosetests.exe --with-xunit --verbose"

in the *Execute Python Script* subsection.

Note, the above nose command runs as expected from a command shell
prompt on my computer.

As an additional check, I added the following command:

#!python.exe
print 'FOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO'

in the *Execute shell* subsection of the job configuration *Build* section.

The Hudson console output for this job after a *Build Now* request is:

Started by user anonymous
Updating svn://vm-svn/GOES data processing/trunk/GOES/13,14,15/SXI/level-1
At revision 3379
no change for svn://vm-svn/GOES data
processing/trunk/GOES/13,14,15/SXI/level-1 since the previous build
[workspace] $ python
C:\DOCUME~1\JIM~1.VIC\LOCALS~1\Temp\hudson6901585295620519415.py
[workspace] $ python.exe
C:\DOCUME~1\JIM~1.VIC\LOCALS~1\Temp\hudson851004747320097491.sh
FOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
Recording test results
Test reports were found but none of them are new. Did tests run?
For example, C:\Documents and Settings\jim.vickroy\.hudson\jobs\GOES
13-15 SXI Level-1 Products Generation\workspace\level-1\nosetests.xml is
20 min old

Finished: FAILURE

which seems to indicate the unit tests were not run since nosetests.xml
was generated by a previous execution of nose from a command shell.

I have been unable to get this to work (after trying many permutations
in the Hudson job configuration section) and would appreciate your guidance.

Thanks,
-- jv

P.S.
My system particulars are:

Microsoft Windows XP Professional (Service Pack 3)
Python 2.6.4
nose 0.11.3
Hudson 1.355