Frustration debugging serial code

Grant Edwards invalid at invalid.invalid
Fri May 7 15:41:41 EDT 2010

On 2010-05-07, Grant Edwards <invalid at invalid.invalid> wrote:
> William R. Wing (Bill Wing) wrote:
>> Hello World -
>> I'm new to both Python and this list, but here's hoping someone can spot
>> my problem.
>>
>> System:  Mac OS-X, 10.6.3 (Intel dual quad processor)
>> Using Python 2.6.1, and pyserial-2.5_rc2-py2.6
>>
>> The following snippet of code is designed to open a port via a KeySpan
>> USB-to-serial converter and communicate with an X10 power line signaling
>> system.  Before you look at the code, let me mention that my frustration
>> is the it executes perfectly if i enter it line by line at the Python
>> prompt, and executes perfectly if I run it under the Wing IDE.  It fails
>> silently (no errors) if I run it as a standalone script.  Clearly, I'm
>> missing something.
>
> Well, the timing is vastly different in the two cases you cite. Have
> you tried adding some delays in your code?

Never mind.  I missed the fact that there were 3 cases.  The timing in
the IDE (which works) is going to be pretty much the same as when you
run it stand-alone (which doesn't work).

--
Grant Edwards               grant.b.edwards        Yow! Well, I'm INVISIBLE
                                  at               AGAIN ... I might as well