Picking a license

Martin P. Hellwig martin.hellwig at dcuktec.org
Sat May 8 05:33:46 EDT 2010

On 05/08/10 09:37, Steven D'Aprano wrote:
<cut>
> If encouraging third parties to take open source code and lock it up
> behind proprietary, closed licences *isn't* a moral hazard, then I don't
> know what one is.
<cut>
I fail to see what is morally wrong with it. When I ,as the author,
share my work to the public, I should have made peace with the fact that
I, for all intends and purposes, lost control over its use. And that is
rightfully so; who am I to say: "Yeah you can use it but only once in a
blue moon when Jupiter aligns with Mars and a solar eclipse reaches its
high on Greenwich at noon exactly."

But just for argument sake say that you can put restrictions on the use,
who is going to enforce these restrictions? The author/Police/special
interest groups?

Anyway I usually put stuff under the MIT/BSD license, but when I can I
use the beerware license (http://people.freebsd.org/~phk/) and I fully
agree with PHK's reasoning.

--
mph