Cross-platform file paths

News123 news1234 at free.fr
Sat May 8 08:51:32 EDT 2010

Hi TIA,

utabintarbo wrote:
> Until now, I have used the UNC under Windows (XP) to allow my program
> to access files located on a Samba-equipped *nix box (eg.
> os.path.normpath(r"\\serverFQDN\sharename\dir\filename")). When I try
> to open this file under Linux (Red Hat 5), I get a file not found
> error.
>
> Is there a cross-platform method for accessing files on a network
> share using Python 2.X?

Up to my knowledge there is now path name under linux, which gives you
access to samba shares without mounting then.

Perhaps there's some special user space file system drivers providing
that functionality, but I don't expect it to be standard linux behaviour.

What is your linux distribution?

I would suggest to change the subject line to something like:

"accessing samba shares from a linux host without mounting them"

or  "cross-platform liibrary to access samba shares"