Picking a license

Sun May 9 13:55:51 EDT 2010

On Sun, 09 May 2010 10:23:29 -0700, Paul Boddie wrote:

> On 9 Mai, 07:09, Patrick Maupin <pmau... at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>                                              See, for example, Apple's
>> support of BSD, Webkit, and LLVM.  Apple is not a "do no evil"
>> corporation, and their contributions back to these packages are driven
>> far more by hard-nosed business decisions than by any expectation of
>> community goodwill.
>
> This being the same Apple that is actively pursuing software patent
> litigation against other organisations; a company which accuses other
> companies of promoting closed solutions while upholding some of the most
> closed and restrictive platforms in widespread use. Your definition of
> "do no evil" is obviously more relaxed than mine.

Patrick said that Apple is NOT a "do no evil" company.

Speaking as a former Mac fan boy, I came to the conclusion a long time
ago that if Apple and Microsoft exchanged market share, Apple would be
*far* more evil than MS has even dreamed of being. Nothing I've seen in
Apple's behaviour in the last few years has made me change my mind. They
do truly awesome hardware and UI design, but also have a company culture
that gives me the heebie-jeebies: the wolf of take-no-prisoners
corporatism disguised as the sheep of "Think Different" and the counter-
culture.

--
Steven