Picking a license

Paul Boddie paul at boddie.org.uk
Sun May 9 19:39:12 EDT 2010

On 10 Mai, 00:02, Patrick Maupin <pmau... at gmail.com> wrote:

> You just answered your own question.  It's pathetic to try to change
> people's behavior by offering them something worthless if they change
> their license to match yours.  (I'm not at all saying that all GPL
> code is worthless, but I have seen things like under 30 line snippets
> that weren't even very well written that were "licensed" under the
> GPL.)

If this is code that you would consider using in an existing project,
but if they aren't pitching it directly at you, why would you believe
that they are trying to change your behaviour? It is you who gets to
decide whether you use the code or not. If the licence isn't
acceptable to you, what prevents you from asking for a special
licence, especially if you are going to incorporate the code in a
product which is sold?

In the more general case of people just releasing small programs and
libraries, all such people are doing is saying, "Here is something I
have done, and here are the terms through which this is shared." If
anything, they are reaching out to see if anyone will work together
with them on making something better, where everyone agrees to a
common framework upon which that work will be done. I'm sure people
didn't think much of Linus Torvalds' work in the beginning, either.

Paul