Is Python a functional programming language?

Paul Rubin no.email at nospam.invalid
Tue May 11 03:17:30 EDT 2010

Luis M. González <luismgz at gmail.com> writes:
> That doesn't mean python can compete with other purely functional
> languages, but it's probably as functional as it can be for a more
> conventional, multiparadigm language.

Ben Lippmeier made the interesting claim that one of the defining
characteristics of functional programming is type systems based on the
Curry-Howard correspondence.  By that standard I think even Scheme
(perhaps the grandaddy of functional languages) wouldn't qualify.

I do think of Scheme as a functional language, but of Python and Lisp as
imperative languages with functional aspects.

I like learnyouahaskell.com if you want to get some exposure to Haskell,
probably the archetypal functional language these days.  I've been
fooling with it on and off for the past couple years.  I'm still not
convinced that it's that good a vehicle for practical general purpose
software development, but there are some specific areas where it works
out just beautifully.  And in terms of the challenges it presents and
the amount I've learned from it, it's one of the most interesting things
I've done as a programmer in as long as I can remember.  It really is
mind altering.