inherit from data type

Richard Lamboj richard.lamboj at bilcom.at
Tue May 11 07:51:46 EDT 2010

Am Tuesday 11 May 2010 11:38:42 schrieb Ulrich Eckhardt:
> Richard Lamboj wrote:
> > "How knows python that it is a float, or a string?" Sorry this was bad
> > expressed. I want to create a new data type, which inherits from float. I
> > just know the "dir" function and the "help" function to get more
> > infromations about the class, but i need to get more information about
> > the class structure.
>
> I'd suggest the tutorial, see http://docs.python.org, though your question
> is already beyond the range of beginners' questions.
>
> > What i also want to know:
> >
> > <type 'float'>
> >
> > Is there a way to tell python that it use antoher class than float for
> > float, like myfloat? Its just a "tell-me-what-is-possible".
> >
> > Sample:
> >
> > <type 'myfloat'>
>
> The expression "10.5" will always be a float, you can't change that. What
>
> you can do is create your own type, derived from float:
>   >>> class myfloat(float):
>
>   ...     pass
>
> and then create an object of that type:
>   >>> x = myfloat(3.14)
>   >>> type(x)
>
>   <class '__main__.myfloat'>
>

> Lastly one warning: In many cases where people wanted to derive from a
> concrete data type, their problems were easier solved by external code. I
> don't know your problem though.
>
> Uli
>
> --
> Sator Laser GmbH
> Geschäftsführer: Thorsten Föcking, Amtsgericht Hamburg HR B62 932

I just want to test what is possible with python and what not. There is no
problem that i need to solve.

This is what i'am searching for:
http://docs.python.org/reference/datamodel.html

Last year i have stopped programming python, but now i'am back with a big
black hole in my brain and i want to understand what the interpreter is doing
in the background.

I think my question was not well formulated...

Kind Regards