Picking a license

Paul Boddie paul at boddie.org.uk
Fri May 14 09:47:30 EDT 2010

On 14 Mai, 05:35, Patrick Maupin <pmau... at gmail.com> wrote:

> I mean, it's in English and very technically precise, but if you
> follow all the references, you quickly come to realize that the
> license is a "patch" to the GPL.

It is a set of exceptions applied to version 3 of the GPL, done this
way so that the exceptions machinery of the GPL can be used to remove
them if desired, as opposed to getting into the business of allowing
people to relicense works from the LGPL to the GPL, as was the case
with previous versions of these licences. You don't even have to read
as far as the first clause of the LGPL terms to be told this, but I
guess there's more "sport" in taking cheap shots at the authors than
reading three lines down from the top of the text.

Paul