Picking a license

Patrick Maupin pmaupin at gmail.com
Fri May 14 11:47:53 EDT 2010

On May 14, 6:13 am, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <l... at geek-
central.gen.new_zealand> wrote:
> In message
> <2b17ee77-0e49-4a97-994c-7582f86c0... at r34g2000yqj.googlegroups.com>, Patrick
>
> Maupin wrote:
> > On May 13, 10:06 pm, Lawrence D'Oliveiro
> > <l... at geek-central.gen.new_zealand> wrote:
>
> >> Under the GPL, everybody has exactly the same freedoms.
>
> > That's absolutely not true.  For a start, the original author can dual-
> > license.
>
> That’s nothing to do with the GPL.

If you mean "that's out of the control of the GPL" I agree.  But the
whole point of the discussion has been about how people can't take GPL
licensed code proprietary, making enhancements, etc. and I'm just
pointing out that this doesn't apply to the original author.  Someone
can decide they aren't making enough money under the GPL and stop
distributing that way, and make all their enhancements proprietary, if
they are the original author.

Regards,
Pat