Picking a license

Ed Keith e_d_k at yahoo.com
Fri May 14 14:11:27 EDT 2010

--- On Fri, 5/14/10, Albert van der Horst <albert at spenarnc.xs4all.nl> wrote:

> This is a big reason for me to release everything (see my
> website,
> it is a *lot*) under GPL. If someone wants to use it they
> can,
> if someone wants to use it commercially, they can too, as
> long
> as they pay me a little bit too. Really, I'm reasonable.

I have no problem with that.

I have played with your forth assembler a bit. It is good work, and the
best part is that I can read the source and learn from it. Putting it out
under GPL allows me to learn from it, and you to profit from it, a real
win/win. Thank you very much for making it available.

I'm working on an assembler myself. I may steal your ideas, but I will not
steal your code. I'm writing it in ocaml, your forth code would not be
easy to translate. When/if I finish I'll publish it under a less restrictive open source license, because I do not think I would be able to
persuade anyone else to pay for a commercial license. But I do not fault
you if you think you can.

If I did use your code I would either publish under the GPL or not publish
at all depending on the exact circumstances. I have been know, on rare occasions, to use GPLed code in my own work (mostly plug-ins for GPLed applications). I just refuse to use it in any code for a client, because I do not want to require someone who does not know source code from Morse code code to figure out what they need to do to avoid violating the license. When I deliver my code to the client they are always free to do whatever they want with it.

    -EdK

Ed Keith
e_d_k at yahoo.com

Blog: edkeith.blogspot.com