Picking a license

Carl Banks pavlovevidence at gmail.com
Fri May 14 20:28:57 EDT 2010

On May 14, 8:20 am, Paul Boddie <p... at boddie.org.uk> wrote:
> On 14 Mai, 09:08, Carl Banks <pavlovevide... at gmail.com> wrote:

> > > Yes. So what? In what possible way is this an argument against the GPL?
>
> [...]
>
> > It's not.  It's an argument that the GPL doesn't do much good.
>
> Right. So nobody got the benefit from Qt under the GPL or PyQt under
> the GPL?

[Snip a bunch of crap I don't care about]

The community as a whole benefited from PyQt because it was free, not
because it was GPL.  The community as whole suffered because it was
GPL instead of a more permissive license.

Now that we have PySide the community as a whole will benefit much,
much more than it could with only a GPLed PyQt.

Carl Banks