Picking a license

Patrick Maupin pmaupin at gmail.com
Fri May 14 22:36:13 EDT 2010

On May 14, 9:21 pm, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <l... at geek-
central.gen.new_zealand> wrote:
> In message <mailman.180.1273860694.32709.python-l... at python.org>, Ed Keith
> wrote:
>
> > I just refuse to use [the GPL] in any code for a client, because I
> > do not want to require someone who does not know source code from Morse
> > code code to figure out what they need to do to avoid violating the
> > license.
>
> Why don’t you just put the source code on the same disc you send them, and
> tell them to pass copies of the entire disc to anyone they want?

What you would really have to tell them is "don't pass along the
program *unless* you copy the whole disk."  That's no longer a
courtesy -- that's a mandate.  By not using the GPL, Ed avoids having
to mandate to his customer how to treat the software he has delivered
to them.

Regards,
Pat