Picking a license

Robert Kern robert.kern at gmail.com
Sun May 16 00:31:19 EDT 2010

On 2010-05-15 22:05 , Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
> In message
> <ca0d6fd3-4883-4a82-bbea-a33c283c42a9 at d12g2000vbr.googlegroups.com>, Patrick
> Maupin wrote:
>
>> On May 14, 9:21 pm, Lawrence D'Oliveiro<l... at geek-
>> central.gen.new_zealand>  wrote:

>>> Why don’t you just put the source code on the same disc you send them,
>>> and tell them to pass copies of the entire disc to anyone they want?
>>
>> What you would really have to tell them is "don't pass along the
>> program *unless* you copy the whole disk."  That's no longer a
>> courtesy -- that's a mandate.  By not using the GPL, Ed avoids having
>> to mandate to his customer how to treat the software he has delivered
>> to them.
>
> But that’s what “copyright” means, it means “right to copy”. It’s his right
> to impose terms on how copies of stuff he created are treated.

It's also his right to choose which terms to impose, depending on the client and
project. If he doesn't think the GPL serves his goals, then he shouldn't use it.
It shouldn't matter to him how well it serves your goals or how unburdensome you
personally find the GPL's requirements.

--
Robert Kern

  an underlying truth."