Pyserial and pysqlite data types, need advice

jon vs. python jonvspython at gmail.com
Mon May 17 11:05:12 EDT 2010

Hi,
I'm trying to store frames received via serial port (using Pyserial) into a
sqlite database (using Pysqlite) in order to perform off-line processing.
Thus I could use both SQL's power and Python's magic to make everything
easier. I'd like my code to be generic and work both for binary and ascii
protocols, too.

Which kind of data should I use to store the frames?
Should I store every byte as a char in VARCHAR? (This seems to fail when
trying to store non printable characters).
Should I encapsulate frames in buffer objects and store them in BLOBs? (This
seems to work but hides content and thus doesn't allow to use database
operations directly on the data)
I've also tried, unsuccessfully, to use bytearrays with pysqlite...

Any suggestion?

Thanks, Jon.