optional argument to a subclass of a class

Alex Hall mehgcap at gmail.com
Thu May 20 22:56:42 EDT 2010

Hi all,
I am now trying to allow my classes, all of which subclass a single
class (if that is the term), to provide optional arguments. Here is
some of my code:

class Craft():
 def __init__(self,
 name,
 isAircraft=False,
 id=helpers.id(),
 hits=0,
 weapons=[]):
  self.name=name
  self.id=id
  self.hits=hits
  self.weapons=weapons
  self.isAircraft=isAircraft
 #end def
#end class

#now a class for each type of craft in the game
#each will subclass the Craft class, but each also has its own settings

class Battleship(Craft):
 def __init__(self,
 name,
 maxHits):
  Craft.__init__(self, name)
  self.maxHits=maxHits
  self.length=maxHits #in Battleship, each ship's length is the same
as how many times it can be hit
 #end def
#end class

I want to be able to say something like
b=Battleship("battleship1", 4, weapons=["missile1","missile2"])
When I do that, though, I get a traceback on the above line saying
"type error: __init__() got an unexpected keyword argument 'weapons'".
What did I do wrong / what do I need to change so that any Craft
(Battleship, Carrier, and so on) can optionally provide a list of
weapons, or any other arguments to which I assign default values in my
Craft class? I hope this makes sense.

--
Have a great day,
Alex (msg sent from GMail website)