where are the program that are written in python?

Jason Scheirer jason.scheirer at gmail.com
Fri May 21 12:51:34 EDT 2010

On May 21, 3:21 am, Deep_Feelings <doctore... at gmail.com> wrote:
> python is not a new programming language ,it has been there for the
> last .... 15+ years or so ? right ?
>
> however by having a look at this pagehttp://wiki.python.org/moin/Applications
> i could not see many programs written in python (i will be interested
> more in COMMERCIAL programs written in python ). and to be honest ,i
> tried some of the programs in that list and all the programs that i
> tried either dead projects or so buggy !
>
> 1- where are the programs that is written in python ?
> 2- python is high productivity language : why there are no commercial
> programs written in python ?
>
> is python a valid practical programming language ?
> why it is not used in commercial software ?
>
> please don't mention programs where python was used as a glue ,those
> programs are not actually written in python.
>
> any help will be appreciated
>
> thank you

I write commercial software full-time in Python (well, mixed with C++)
at ESRI. I have been able to make a living developing in Python full
time at various places for the last 4 years. I can assure you that
there is plenty of commercial software out there that uses Python. The
reason you don't *see* it is because the development language for a
commercial product is a lot less important than the functionality of
the product, so "WRITTEN IN PYTHON!!!!" is likely not going to be a
bullet point on a marketing slide. And quite frankly, it should be a
trade secret for the companies enlightened enough to use it as their
language of choice because it is to productive that it provides a
competitive advantage.