gettext compatible, public domain collections of translations for strings commonly used in software applications?

Fri May 21 20:13:27 EDT 2010

On Fri, 21 May 2010 18:01:58 -0400, python wrote:

> It seems to me that there must be some public domain collection of
> translated strings that could be searched for 1:1 or fuzzy translations
> for strings commonly used in software applications?

There must be? Is that a law of nature or something? "I want it, so it
must exist, QED."

> Is there a technical and copyright friendly (LGPL licensed?) way to
> query services like Google's Translator Toolkit, LaunchPad, Mygengo,
> etc. to find translations for common strings?

You would need to check the licence terms and conditions for those
services. It's not enough to have LGPL-licenced software to access
Translator Toolkit, if Google put limits or prohibitions on access.

You will need to check the services in question to see if they publish an
API for programmatically using their software.

--
Steven