where are the program that are written in python?

Chris Rebert clp2 at rebertia.com
Fri May 21 23:30:43 EDT 2010

On Fri, May 21, 2010 at 8:03 PM, Lie Ryan <lie.1296 at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 05/22/10 04:47, Terry Reedy wrote:
>> On 5/21/2010 6:21 AM, Deep_Feelings wrote:
>>> python is not a new programming language ,it has been there for the
>>> last .... 15+ years or so ? right ?
>>>
>>> however by having a look at this page
>>> http://wiki.python.org/moin/Applications
>>> i could not see many programs written in python (i will be interested
>>> more in COMMERCIAL programs written in python ). and to be honest ,i
>>
>> There are two kinds of 'commercial' programs.
>> 1. The vast majority are proprietary programs kept within a company for
>> its own use. As long as these work as intended, they are mostly
>> invisible to the outside world.
>> 2. Programs sold to anyone who wants them.
>>
>> Python trades programmer speed for execution speed. If a successful
>> Python program is going to be run millions of times, it makes economic
>> sense to convert time-hogging parts to (for instance) C.  In fact, this
>> is a consideration in deciding what functions should be builtin and
>> which stdlib modules are written or rewritten in C.
>>
>> Programs being sold tend to be compared to competitors on speed with
>> perhaps more weight than they rationally should. Speed is easier to
>> measure than, for instance, lack of bugs.
>
> doubting python's speed? Look at Mercurial vs. SVN; Mercurial is written
> in Python while SVN in C. Mercurial beats SVN in speed by several orders
> of magnitude.

Erm, in fairness, I recall hearing that some speed-critical bits of hg
are written in C. It does lend credence to the "Python as glue
language" argument though; I doubt hg's extensibility and friendly
interface would have been as easy to implement it C (particularly the
slick instant-server feature).

Cheers,
Chris
--