Do any debuggers support "edit and continue?"

Fabio Zadrozny fabiofz at gmail.com
Sat May 22 09:03:19 EDT 2010

On Wed, May 12, 2010 at 2:42 PM, Joel Koltner
<zapwireDASHgroups at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Just curious... in Microsoft's Visual Studio (and I would presume some other
> tools), for many languages (both interpreted and compiled!) there's an "edit
> and conitnue" option that, when you hit a breakpoint, allows you to modify a
> line of code before it's actually executed.
>
> Does any Python debugger support this feature?  Being an interpreted
> language it doesn't seem like it would necessarily be too onerous to
> support?  It'd be quite handy in that, especially if you hit a breakpoint
> due to the interpreter throwing an error, you could fix just the line in
> question and keep going, rather than having to stop the entire program, fix
> the line, and then run again and potentially kill a bunch of time getting
> the program back into the same "state."

Just for the record, Pydev had that from 1.4.8 to 1.5.5, but it was
removed because it could be a bit unpredictable (it relied on
xreload.py).

So, now what you can still do is change your variables / write any
code in the console / use the jump to re-execute something (in the
interface it's Run > Run to line -- or Ctrl+R) which is what you
usually need when experimenting (I still think the edit and continue
would be a nice feature, but the current state of xreload is not
really good for that -- and I'm not sure if it'll ever be -- although
I do have some alternatives in mind that would improve that support
greatly, some things could never be really fixed, such as changing the
value of an int constant that's been already assigned to somewhere
else -- anyways, I've got my hands on some other things right now, so,
there's currently no plan for that being supported (again)).

Cheers,

Fabio

p.s.: I think I'd be able to do it before reaching the whole $ 500,000
in funding :)