Free chapter about Python and databases (MySQL and SQLite)

John Bokma john at castleamber.com
Thu May 27 23:37:52 EDT 2010

Sebastian Bassi <sbassi at clubdelarazon.org> writes:

> Hello, I want to announce that the publisher of "Python for
> Bioinformatis" (CRC Press) allowed me to publish a chapter from my
> book.
> I decided to publish the chapter about "Python and databases". I think
> it may be useful for somebody.
> The official announcement and download link is here:
> http://py4bio.com/2010/05/28/python_databases_mysql_sqlite/
> For more information about the book: www.tinyurl.com/biopython

I feel more than uncomfortable with example code that uses: user="root"
(e.g. p291). I never get why people write a short (IMO) /bad/ intro to
databases while there are books out there that do a way better
job. To me such chapters are just a way to get more pages :-(. (=make
the book more expensive = less money to buy a /good/ book on databases)

I would love to see more technical books that start at page 1 with the
topic, not with an introduction to the language (170+ pages) and some
other stuff that IMO shouldn't be there (MySQL introduction, XML, etc.). What
I would expect, based on the title is:

p 175-222
p 315-456
p 539-552

This would probably make the book a bit cheaper, so one can buy a good
book on MySQL, a good book on XML, and a good book on Python. (Or maybe
one already has those, like me).

IMO, YMMV

--
John Bokma                                                               j3b

Hacking & Hiking in Mexico -  http://johnbokma.com/