TypeError: _new_() takes exactly 3 arguments (2 given) - what does it mean?

Jesse McDonnell jessemcdonnell at verizon.net
Fri May 28 17:02:04 EDT 2010

On Wed, 26 May 2010 14:30:21 -0400
Terry Reedy <tjreedy at udel.edu> wrote:

> On 5/24/2010 2:52 PM, Jesse McDonnell wrote:
> > I'm attempting to install Powerline http://code.google.com/p/powerline/,
> > a computer reservation software based on CherryPy/Python using a MYSql
> > database, at my local library and I've run up against an error that I
> >

> Honestly, unless you find a Python+Powerline expert who will help, I
> suggest that you delete Powerline and look for something else. The most
> recent release is an alpha release over 2 years old. Except for the Feb
> 2010 wiki updates, the project appears to be dead. Even if someone
> helped you past this, there is no evidence that the fix would applied
> back to the codebase. And what about the next bug or problem?

> Terry Jan Reedy

and

On Wed, 26 May 2010 12:04:53 -0700 (PDT)
Carl Banks <pavlovevidence at gmail.com> wrote:

> [Again, can't see the original, sorry]
>
> On May 26, 11:30 am, Terry Reedy <tjre... at udel.edu> wrote:
> > On 5/24/2010 2:52 PM, Jesse McDonnell wrote:

> The most common reason for this message is trying to subclass a
> module.  (Very easy mistake when a module has the same name as a
> class, which is part of why I don't like the practice, though the
> modern PEP 8 reduces the issue.)
>
> IOW, someone did something like this:
>
> import foo
> class bar(foo): pass
>
> when they should have done this:
>
> from foo import foo
> class bar(foo): pass

Terry and Carl,

Thanks for your replies. I got a response from the guy who coded Powerline through the google group for the app and upgrading dbwrap resolved this particular error. He also helped me work through some python-genshi issues and I now have  a working web interface.

Thanks again for your help.

Jesse