GUI programs

Grant Edwards invalid at invalid.invalid
Sun May 30 10:12:20 EDT 2010

On 2010-05-30, <jyoung79 at kc.rr.com> <jyoung79 at kc.rr.com> wrote:

> 1.  wxPython - This looks very good, although I'm not sure
> how to set up portability with this.

I'm not sure what you mean by "set up portability".  If you follow the
wxPython API documentation, then wxPython code is fairly portable.

> Other machines that would run the Python code probably wouldn't have
> the Developer Tools or wxPython installed.  I think I could use
> Py2App for OS X to create a Package App but I'm not real familiar
> with how that would all work.

I've used py2exe with success.  It's fairly simple to use for simple
programs, but can require some configuration tweaking if you use a log
of libraries (wxPython numeric Python, scientific Python, etc.).

> 6.  TkInter - Does this module come standard on all machines
> that have Python?

Not all, but it's a lot more common than wxPython.

> Haven't worked with this one much, but if I send Python code to other
> machines would TkInter work?

Generally yes, if the machines have TkInter installed.

> Would love to hear anyones thoughts about GUI programming and what
> they use.  Would also like to hear pros/cons with the different
> modules/apps.

This question comes up about once a week, so Google should be able
to find plenty of recent threads.

--
Grant