Question about permutations (itertools)

Vincent Davis vincent at vincentdavis.net
Mon May 31 10:04:53 EDT 2010

As a note I am doing this in py3.

I am looking for the most efficient (speed) way to produce an an
iterator to of permutations.
One of the problem I am having it that neither combinations nor
permutations does not exactly what I want directly.
For example If I want all possible ordered lists of 0,1 of length 3
(0,0,0)
(0,0,1)
(0,1,1)
(1,1,1)
(1,0,1)
(1,1,0)
(1,0,0)
I don't see a way to get this directly from the itertools. But maybe I
am missing something. I see ways to get a bigger list and then remove
duplicates.

>>> list(permutations([0,1], 3))
[]

>>> list(combinations_with_replacement('01',3))

Is it possible to get combinations_with_replacement to return numbers
rather than strings? (see above)

Thanks
Vincent