where are the program that are written in python?

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Fri May 21 14:47:53 EDT 2010

On 5/21/2010 6:21 AM, Deep_Feelings wrote:
> python is not a new programming language ,it has been there for the
> last .... 15+ years or so ? right ?
>
> however by having a look at this page http://wiki.python.org/moin/Applications
> i could not see many programs written in python (i will be interested
> more in COMMERCIAL programs written in python ). and to be honest ,i

There are two kinds of 'commercial' programs.
1. The vast majority are proprietary programs kept within a company for
its own use. As long as these work as intended, they are mostly
invisible to the outside world.
2. Programs sold to anyone who wants them.

Python trades programmer speed for execution speed. If a successful
Python program is going to be run millions of times, it makes economic
sense to convert time-hogging parts to (for instance) C.  In fact, this
is a consideration in deciding what functions should be builtin and
which stdlib modules are written or rewritten in C.

Programs being sold tend to be compared to competitors on speed with
perhaps more weight than they rationally should. Speed is easier to
measure than, for instance, lack of bugs.

Python programs can be and sometimes are distributed as .exe files. The
users of such neither know nor care that some of the source is Python.

> tried some of the programs in that list and all the programs that i
> tried either dead projects or so buggy !
>
> 1- where are the programs that is written in python ?

Mostly kept private. For instance, GvR, Python's inventor, spent part of
his first year at Google writing a neat-looking programmer console
program in Python (Mondrian) designed to improve the productivity of
Google programmers. As far as I know, Google has not released it.

> please don't mention programs where python was used as a glue ,those
> programs are not actually written in python.

A C program glues together micro-coded functions. Even a 'pure' CPython
program glues together C-coded functions. Some are in builtins, some are
imported from the stdlib, and some can be imported from 3rd party
packages. The extensibility of CPython is part of its design.

Terry Jan Reedy