Question on Python Function

Vlastimil Brom vlastimil.brom at gmail.com
Mon May 24 16:56:34 EDT 2010

2010/5/24 joy99 <subhakolkata1234 at gmail.com>:

> Dear Group,
>
> I have a small question on function.
>
> If I write two functions like the following:
>
> IDLE 2.6.5
>        element1=5
>        element2=6
>        add=element1+element2
>        print "PRINT THE ADDITION",add

>        element3=7
>        element4=22
>        mult=element3*element4
>        print "PRINT THE MULTIPLICATION",mult
>
> Can I now write a third function where the above two functions can be
> passed as argument or parameter?
>
> Best Regards,
> Subhabrata.
>
> NB: As I copied the code from IDLE to MS-Word befor posting here,
> codes may have slight indentation errors.
> --

Hi,
while it is quite unclear to me, what you are trying to achieve (what
are the passed n arguments supposed to do?), you can well pass an
already defined function as an argument to another function; if you
want to select a function for the needed operation, if can be e.g.:

def compute(arg1, arg2, fn):
    fn(arg1, arg2)

- supposing you don't want to "return" the result but just print it as
your functions do;
is it what you were after or did I miss something more complex?

hth
  vbr