playful coding problems for 10 year olds

Emile van Sebille emile at
Mon Nov 1 23:36:43 CET 2010

On 11/1/2010 2:48 PM Martin v. Loewis said...
>> My niece is interested in programming and python looks like a good
>> choice (she already wrote a couple of lines :)) She is 10 and I
>> thought it would be good to have a bunch of playful coding problems
>> for her, stuff that she could code herself maybe after some initial
>> help.
> I think anything that has to do with drawing and colors will be
> attractive, animated if possible. It has to look nice.
> Take a look at the turtle demos.

Six or eight years ago when my kids were about that age I got them to
play around with pygame, but frankly, I had more success getting them to
read html and identify cut n paste-able fragments to put in their
myspaceface places.