playful coding problems for 10 year olds

Jonathan Hartley tartley at tartley.com
Tue Nov 2 05:19:08 EDT 2010

On Nov 1, 8:31 pm, Daniel Fetchinson <fetchin... at googlemail.com>
wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> My niece is interested in programming and python looks like a good
> choice (she already wrote a couple of lines :)) She is 10 and I
> thought it would be good to have a bunch of playful coding problems
> for her, stuff that she could code herself maybe after some initial
> help.
>
> Do you guys know problems like these? Or a good resource where to look them up?
>
> Cheers,
> Daniel
>
> --
> Psss, psss, put it down! -http://www.cafepress.com/putitdown

There's a great book valled 'Invent your own computer games using
Python', aimed at kids, which teaches programming from tne ground up,
in the context of writing games, starting with terminal word games,
ending with Pygame fullscreen 2D vector graphic & bitmaps affairs.
http://inventwithpython.com/

The website says aimed at kids 'ages 10 to 12 and upwards', so it
sounds like she's on the minimum cusp.

(now I come to look at the website, one of the quotes he features is