Python documentation too difficult for beginners

Bruno Desthuilliers bruno.42.desthuilliers at websiteburo.invalid
Tue Nov 2 11:28:28 EDT 2010

jk a écrit :
> Hi,
>
> I've been coding in PHP and Java for years, and their documentation is
> concise, well structured and easy to scan.
>
> Others have mentioned this apparently for years (see:
> http://stackoverflow.com/questions/4046166/easy-to-navigate-online-python-reference-manual/4070851
> and http://www.russellbeattie.com/blog/python-library-docs-still-suck
> and http://xahlee.org/perl-python/xlali_skami_cukta.html).

Totally unrelated, but the last example is nothing but a reference -
xahlee is one of the worst internet troll ever.

> Compare for instance the differences in ease of use, and speed of use,
> of these:
>
> http://docs.python.org/library/functions.html#open
> http://uk.php.net/manual/en/function.fopen.php

Sorry but as far as I'm concerned, PHP doc sucks big time, and I find
Javadoc-style stuff close to useless.

(snip)

> Has anyone else struggled while trying to learn the language?

Not as far as I'm concerned. I found Python the easiest language to
learn right from the beginning. Not to say the doc couldn't be improved,
or that alternate documentations could help, but I never had any problem
with it.