Compare source code

Grant Edwards invalid at invalid.invalid
Tue Nov 2 15:27:49 CET 2010

On 2010-11-02, Steven D'Aprano <steve at> wrote:

> Ah, but other languages don't make the guarantee that you can add or
> remove random whitespace in arbitrary places and still have code that
> works correctly!
> Of course, neither does Python, but there's a certain type of
> personality that is never happy unless they are bitching and moaning,
> and if they can't find something more substantial to bitch and moan
> about, they'll bitch and moan about the fact that they can't make
> random changes to syntactically significant tokens in their source
> code without things breaking. Boo hoo, cry me a river.

> Personally, I'm more disturbed by the default prompt in the
> interactive interpreter. >>> clashes with the symbol used for quoting
> text in email and news. That causes me far more distress than
> indentation.

I've tripped over that as well.  Not very often, but it's a bigger
problem than significant whitespace.  I must admit that the first few
minutes I worked with Python having significant whitespace seemed
awkward -- probably because it invoked unpleasant memories of Fortran
IV on punch-cards.

After a short time, I suddenly realized that Python got it right: the
compiler and my brain are using the _same_thing_ to denote program
structure.  All those years of my brain using one thing and the
compiler using a different thing were (and are) obviously the wrong
way to do it.

Grant Edwards               grant.b.edwards        Yow! My BIOLOGICAL ALARM
                                  at               CLOCK just went off ... It
                                has noiseless DOZE FUNCTION
                                                   and full kitchen!!