Python documentation too difficult for beginners

John Nagle nagle at
Tue Nov 2 20:04:39 CET 2010

On 11/2/2010 7:53 AM, Paul Rudin wrote:
> Steven D'Aprano<steve at>  writes:
>> A fair point -- the built-in open comes up as hit #30, whereas searching
>> for open in the PHP page brings up fopen as hit #1. But the PHP search
>> also brings up many, many hits -- ten pages worth.
> OTOH googling for "python open" gives you the correct (for 2.7) page as
> hit #1 - although you then have to use your browser's "find" facilty to
> actually get to the description of the function in question.

    Right.  Google does a far better job of organizing Python's
documentation than the Python community does.  I don't even try
looking up anything starting at; I always start
with a Google search.  Even though's search is