Serializing a user-defined class

Chris Rebert clp2 at rebertia.com
Wed Nov 3 12:18:52 EDT 2010

On Wed, Nov 3, 2010 at 8:39 AM, T.J. Simmons <theimmortalbum at gmail.com> wrote:
> Right, I know about the json module; that's not the problem. My problem is
> with the fact that different instances of the same class, with different
> data, have the same keys. Foo, in this instance, can be both a list of Foos
> inside Bar, and also a list of Foos outside Bar. I'm just unsure of how to
> get the data into a serializable form.

So, if I'm understanding you correctly, your classes make use of
dynamic typing and you think this will cause serialization problems?
In that case, just define an appropriate JSONEncoder or object_hook;
see the module docs, they give an example for complex numbers.
If I've misunderstood you, a specific (pseudo-)code example of your
problem would be helpful.

Cheers,
Chris