Best method for a menu in a command line program?

Grant Edwards invalid at invalid.invalid
Thu Nov 4 15:46:28 EDT 2010

On 2010-11-04, Ned Deily <nad at acm.org> wrote:
>  Ben Finney <ben+python at benfinney.id.au> wrote:
>> brf256 at gmail.com writes:
>> > Thanks again,
>> > Braden Faulkner
>> >
>> > Sent wirelessly from my BlackBerry device on the Bell network.
>> > Envoy?? sans fil par mon terminal mobile BlackBerry sur le r??seau de Bell.
>>
>> Please show your thanks by *not* spamming the forum with each message;
>> compose your messages from a mail client that doesn't feel the need to
>> blather about itself in the message body.
>>
>> --
>>  \       ???For fast acting relief, try slowing down.??? ???Jane Wagner, via |
>>   `\                                                       Lily Tomlin |
>> _o__)                                                                  |
>> Ben Finney
>
> If I were a rude person, I might observe that "spamming" is relative:
> some who obsess about "spam" might consider 2 lines less of an evil than
> 5 lines.
>
> But I'm not, so I won't.

I must admit that I sympathise with Ben: I find those "sent from my
iphone/blackberry" lines exruciatingly annoying, and I'm not really
sure why.

They waste less space than my (or Ben's) sig, and actually do convey
some sort of (pointless) information -- unlike randomly chosen
Zippy-the-pinhead quotes.

Still, I find them very smug, self-satisfied and irritating.  Sort of
like those doors from the Serious Cybernetics Corporation.

I don't know whether it's that somebody is bragging about having a
blackberry/iphone (whoop-de-friggin-do!), or that having one is
somehow a valid excuse for poorly-written postings.  I'm not
specifically accusing Braden Faulkner of posting badly written
articles, but it does seem to be a trend among people who use iphones
and blackberrys to post.

--
Grant Edwards               grant.b.edwards        Yow! I didn't order any
                                  at               WOO-WOO ... Maybe a YUBBA

Posted from my Linux computer using mutt!