Compare source code

Fri Nov 5 06:37:05 EDT 2010

On Thu, 04 Nov 2010 21:47:59 +0000, Tim Harig wrote:

> I have seen huge patches caused by nothing more then some edit that
> accidently added a trailing space to a large number of lines.  White
> space mangling happens all the time without people even knowing about
> it.

How does an edit accidentally add a trailing space to a large number of
lines?

(1) The programmer shifted the cursor to the end of the line, pressed
space, moved down a line, shift to eol, press space, repeat a large
number of times. I don't call that an "accident".

(2) Some programmer used a tool that thought it was okay to add
whitespace to the end of lines without being told to. I don't call that
an accident either, I call that using a broken tool.

So we keep coming back to work-arounds for tools that mangle your data
for no good reason...

--
Steven