Silly newbie question - Carrot character (^)

Matty Sarro msarro at
Fri Nov 5 14:43:25 CET 2010

Hey Everyone,
Just curious - I'm working on a program which includes a calculation of a
circle, and I found myself trying to use pi*radius^2, and getting errors
that data types float and int are unsupported for "^". Now, I realized I was
making the mistake of using '^' instead of "**". I've corrected this and its
now working. However, what exactly does ^ do? I know its used in regular
expressions but I can't seem to find anything about using it as an operator.
Sadly my google foo is failing since the character gets filtered out.