Compare source code

Seebs usenet-nospam at seebs.net
Sat Nov 6 00:14:34 EDT 2010

On 2010-11-06, Steven D'Aprano <steve at REMOVE-THIS-cybersource.com.au> wrote:
> On Fri, 05 Nov 2010 08:17:02 +0530, Rustom Mody wrote:
>> However the original question -- mixing tabs and spaces is bad -- has
>> got lost in the flames.  Do the most die-hard python fanboys deny this?
>> And if not is it asking too much (say in python3) that mixing tabs and
>> spaces be flagged as an error or at least warning?

> Mixing spaces and tabs for indentation can be ambiguous.

Specifically:

Four spaces followed by a tab nearly always actually means "eight spaces" to
most editors (and Python seems to treat it that way), but it's hard to tell.
Worse, a tab may have been intended to be the same thing as four spaces,
and someone was expecting it NOT to be the same as eight spaces...

-s
--
Copyright 2010, all wrongs reversed.  Peter Seebach / usenet-nospam at seebs.net