Compare source code

Steven D'Aprano steve at
Sun Nov 7 05:26:16 CET 2010

On Sun, 07 Nov 2010 14:53:45 +1300, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

> In message <slrnid9ln8.30fm.usenet-nospam at>, Seebs wrote:
>> Specifically:
>> Four spaces followed by a tab nearly always actually means "eight
>> spaces" to most editors (and Python seems to treat it that way), but
>> it's hard to tell. Worse, a tab may have been intended to be the same
>> thing as four spaces, and someone was expecting it NOT to be the same
>> as eight spaces...
> Whereas explicitly-bracketed languages leave no ambiguity about how many
> brackets you need and where.

Yes, and?

The way people[1] go on, and on, and ON about braces and indentation,
anyone would think that the hardest part of programming was deciding how
many times to press the tab key.

Besides, if we used reverse Polish notation, we wouldn't need either
brackets or indentation.

Forth rules-ly y'rs,

[1] I include myself.