Compare source code

Grant Edwards invalid at invalid.invalid
Sun Nov 7 08:23:26 EST 2010

On 2010-11-07, Mark Wooding <mdw at distorted.org.uk> wrote:
> Lawrence D'Oliveiro <ldo at geek-central.gen.new_zealand> writes:
>
>> I would never do that. "Conserving vertical space" seems a stupid
>> reason for doing it.
>
> Vertical space is a limiting factor on how much code one can see at a
> time.

And one study I read shoed that how much code one can see at a time
directly affects the number of bugs introduced while editing. The
more code you could see at a time, the better off you were (at least
as far as the measurements in that study went).  IOW, editing a loop
or other control structure where you couldn't see both ends was
problematic. Conserving vertical space avoids that problem.

> I use old-fashioned CRT monitors with 4x3 aspect ratios and
> dizzyingly high resolution; I usually work with two columns of code, but
> can get four if I give up on things like xterms.  I still find it rather
> limiting: I have to remember everything which won't fit on the screen.
>
> I've no idea how people manage with these ridiculous widescreen monitors.

Rotate them 90 degrees?  My monitors will do that mechanically, but
I've never bothered to try setting up X to handle it. (I bought 4:3
monitors before they got replaced by cheap 16:8 screens).

--
Grant