Silly newbie question - Caret character (^)

Tue Nov 9 01:04:53 EST 2010

In message <slrnidhcns.9m6.usenet-nospam at guild.seebs.net>, Seebs wrote:

> On 2010-11-09, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <ldo at geek-central.gen.new_zealand>
> wrote:
>
>> In message <mailman.697.1289067607.2218.python-list at python.org>, Dennis
>> Lee Bieber wrote:
>>>
>>> Have you ever looked at the reference manual for Ada?
>
>> Or even worse, the annotated reference. I thought annotations were
>> supposed to clarify things; in this case they seemed to have the opposite
>> effect...
>
> Clearly, you've never seen Schildt's infamous "Annotated ANSI C Standard".

There absolutely no chance (or at least no way I can imagine) that anyone
could annotate a concise language like C up to the level of turgidity of the
Ada spec.

Hang on, is this Herb Schildt? I bought a couple of his books, back when I
was trying to get to grips with C++ (I have the edition of “C++ The Complete
Reference” which proudly proclaims it “Covers the New International Standard
for C+”). Not as useful as I thought they would be; I ended up referring to
the libstdc++ sources to clarify things.