Silly newbie question - Caret character (^)

Seebs usenet-nospam at seebs.net
Tue Nov 9 02:00:00 EST 2010

On 2010-11-09, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <ldo at geek-central.gen.new_zealand> wrote:
> In message <slrnidhcns.9m6.usenet-nospam at guild.seebs.net>, Seebs wrote:
>> On 2010-11-09, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <ldo at geek-central.gen.new_zealand>
>> wrote:
>>> Or even worse, the annotated reference. I thought annotations were
>>> supposed to clarify things; in this case they seemed to have the opposite
>>> effect...

>> Clearly, you've never seen Schildt's infamous "Annotated ANSI C Standard".

> There absolutely no chance (or at least no way I can imagine) that anyone
> could annotate a concise language like C up to the level of turgidity of the
> Ada spec.

Not so much turgidity as being WRONG.  Consistently and often.

> Hang on, is this Herb Schildt? I bought a couple of his books, back when I
> was trying to get to grips with C++ (I have the edition of ???C++ The Complete
> Reference??? which proudly proclaims it ???Covers the New International Standard
> for C+???). Not as useful as I thought they would be; I ended up referring to
> the libstdc++ sources to clarify things.

Yes, Herb Schildt:
	http://www.seebs.net/c/c_tcn4e.html

(I know too little about C++ to criticize is writings about it, but people have
told me they're comparable.)

-s
--
Copyright 2010, all wrongs reversed.  Peter Seebach / usenet-nospam at seebs.net