A way to get setup.py to create links instead of copy

Geoff Bache geoff.bache at gmail.com
Tue Nov 9 04:18:55 EST 2010

Hi all,

One of the things I've always loved about Python (having come from
compiled languages) was the lack of an extra step between changing my
code and running it.

On my current project, however, I find that I have to install my
Python code with setup.py before it will run. Being used to not having
this step, I easily forget to run setup.py install before they will
run, and then spend time wondering why my changes didn't work.

So I went into the target directory and replaced the copies with
symbolic links back to the original code. This felt like a hack but
does mean I don't have to install the whole time any more.

I wonder if there is some standard way to deal with this situation?

Regards,
Geoff Bache