Silly newbie question - Caret character (^)

Seebs usenet-nospam at
Wed Nov 10 01:13:38 CET 2010

On 2010-11-09, Terry Reedy <tjreedy at> wrote:
> I've been wondering why C programmers keep writing code susceptible to
> buffer overruns ;=).

Because we're dumb!

(Actually, in my defense, my code almost never, if ever, has buffer
overruns.  I do in some rare cases have truncation issues with sufficiently
ridiculous input data.)

> Your two 'nitpicks' about fflush have both come up on this list as real
> issues causing people problems. So I agree that it needs to be explained
> properly and completely as you suggest.

Huh.  Since Schildt fell out of favor, I've almost never seen people trying
to fflush(stdin), and the update rules are weird enough that I don't think
I've ever seen anyone try to use it.  :)

Copyright 2010, all wrongs reversed.  Peter Seebach / usenet-nospam at <-- lawsuits, religion, and funny pictures <-- get educated!