Commercial or Famous Applicattions.?

Martin Gregorie martin at address-in-sig.invalid
Wed Nov 10 08:07:58 EST 2010

On Wed, 10 Nov 2010 17:01:05 +1300, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

> In message <ibbj3j$pv7$1 at localhost.localdomain>, Martin Gregorie wrote:
>
>> ...and don't forget getmail, a better behaved replacement for
>> fetchmail.
>
> I was just looking this up in the Getmail FAQ, since I didn’t know about
> the issues with Fetchmail.

FWIW the thing that really irritated me about fetchmail is the way it
only deletes messages at the end of a session and never cleans up after
itself. If a session gets timed out or otherwise interrupted the messages
that were read in it are left in the server's mail marked 'read'.
Subsequent sessions won't re-read them but won't go expunge them either.
This leads to a gradual build-up of read but not expunged messages in the
server's mailbox.

The only fix I discovered was to go in manually with an MUA just after a
fetchmail session so it could read and expunge this junk.

getmail doesn't cause this problem.

--
martin@   | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK