remote server and effective uid

Tim Arnold tim.arnold at sas.com
Tue Nov 16 12:37:37 EST 2010

"Tim Harig" <usernet at ilthio.net> wrote in message
news:ibs8h9$jmq$1 at speranza.aioe.org...
> On 2010-11-15, Tim Arnold <a_jtim at bellsouth.net> wrote:

>>> Python provides os.setuid() and os.seteuid() which wrap the system
>>> functions. See you systems man pages for these functions for more
>>> information.
>>
>> Thanks -- that was a lot easier than I thought it was going to be.
>> pass the client's uid in the message to the server like so
>>
>> argstring, local_dir, uid = message.split(':')
>> os.seteuid(int(uid))
>
> I am not sure exactly what you are doing; but, I would advise great
> caution as messing this up could easily open your system to exploitation.
> Be very sure that you know what you are doing.

I can see how that looks dangerous, but I think it's okay. I have inetd
listening on a port and whatever it receives, it passes on to that line
above "argstring, local_dir, uid message.split(':').  The argstring is
parsed using 'argparse' the resulting list of args is passed to a Python
class that can only do work for a specific set of args. I can't think of a
way someone could pass in an evil argstring that could do anything but fail.

Thanks for your reply, and if you still think it's dangerous please let me
know.
--Tim