how to use socket to get packet which destination ip is not local?

Hans hansyin at gmail.com
Tue Nov 16 15:38:56 EST 2010

Hi,

Maybe it's a very simple question. I'm trying to write a dhcpclient
code with python. The dhcpclient does not have ip address at the very
beginning, it sends out dhcpdiscover and then server sends back
dhcpoffer. the dhcpoffer will use assigned ip as destination ip, but
that ip is not client's local ip yet. How can I make my socket to
receive that packet?

I tried socket bind to 0.0.0.0, but it only binds to any local ip, not
any ip which may not be local. therefore the socket cannot get that
dhcp offer packet even I can use wireshark to see that packet did come
to this pc.

How to solve it? Thanks in advance.

Rgds,

Hans