Using Python and Connecting to MySQL remotely WITHOUT MySQL installed on local computer

Steve Holden steve at
Thu Nov 18 05:19:49 CET 2010

On 11/17/2010 10:19 PM, Tim Harig wrote:
> On 2010-11-18, Steve Holden <steve at> wrote:
>>> You don't have to install all of MySQL, just the client libraries.  I would
>>> assume that almost every MySQL connector uses these libraries; but, you
>>> might see if the MySQL-ODBC connector will work without them.  It is a long
>>> shot.  Your last option would be to recreate your own connector without
>>> using the MySQL client libraries.  I am not really sure what the purpose of
>>> reinventing this wheel would be.
>> I believe that the coming trend is to implement the MySQL client
>> protocol directly in Python, thereby obviating the need for any MySQL
>> client installation on the machine hosting the Python code.
> One of the advantages to using the MySQL supplied library is that if the
> line protocol changes the connector automatically inherits the work already
> done by MySQL for the price of a stable API (yes, I am aware that the MySQL
> API *has* changed through the years).  That could be very relevant in the
> near future as the probject settles its stable forks.
>> The pymysql project at is one such
>> solution, aimed at satisfying Python 3 users without the need to port
>> existing low-level client code.
> That still looks like alpha code.  Would you be willing to make a statement
> as to its stability?

No, that was purely an example. I am, however, using MySQL Connector/Python

in a series of commercial Python 3 classes.

PyCon 2011 Atlanta March 9-17
See Python Video!
Holden Web LLC