Distribution of Python Scripts

tazz_ben ben at wbpsystems.com
Thu Nov 18 11:48:11 EST 2010

Hi Folks -

I'm an experienced programmer, but this is my first app with python,
so I apologize for any stupidity on my part.  So  I've written/still
working on a command line tool written in Python.  It talks to a web
service, so there really isn't anything in it that is dependent on a
particular os.  My goal is to distribute the script as a tool to my
users so they can use it (they are on multiple platforms), the vast
majority are not programmers.

So, I'm looking for a way to distribute the app that takes care of
details like them having python installed, or having an older version
etc.  From reading some docs it sounds like "Squeeze" did exactly this
back in the day, but it is ancient and I'm writing in 2.7.   Just to
be clear I could care less if they see the source code, my goal is all
around ease of use.  I would love to have one distribution file for
all platforms, but I can live  with making three if that's the only
option.

So, what's my options.