Is Unladen Swallow dead?

Dan Stromberg drsalists at gmail.com
Thu Nov 18 12:45:08 EST 2010

On Thu, Nov 18, 2010 at 4:24 AM, BartC <bc at freeuk.com> wrote:

> "John Nagle" <nagle at animats.com> wrote in message
> news:4ce37e01$0$1666$742ec2ed at news.sonic.net...
>
>  On 11/16/2010 10:24 PM, swapnil wrote:
>>

>  AFAIK, the merging plan was approved by Guido early this year. I guess
>>> Google is expecting the community to drive the project from here on.
>>> That was the whole idea for merging it to mainline. From my last
>>> conversation with Collin, they are targeting Python 3.3
>>>

>>    I think it's dead.  They're a year behind on quarterly releases.
>> The last release was Q3 2009.  The project failed to achieve its
>> stated goal of a 5x speedup. Not even close.  More like 1.5x
>> (http://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-3146)
>>

> There must have been good reasons to predict a 5x increase. But why did it
> take so long to find out the approach wasn't going anywhere?

It's not that it wasn't going anywhere.  Improvements were accomplished.

Also, LLVM needed to be modified more than a little bit for the purpose.

Also, the developers were constrained a bit by the need to preserve
compatibility with some pretty weird code - like methods being replaced
mid-loop.

It's not a small project.