Is Unladen Swallow dead?

Jean-Paul Calderone calderone.jeanpaul at gmail.com
Thu Nov 18 17:59:49 EST 2010

On Nov 18, 1:31 pm, John Nagle <na... at animats.com> wrote:
> On 11/18/2010 4:24 AM, BartC wrote:
>

> > "John Nagle" <na... at animats.com> wrote in message
> >news:4ce37e01$0$1666$742ec2ed at news.sonic.net...

> >> I think it's dead. They're a year behind on quarterly releases.
> >> The last release was Q3 2009. The project failed to achieve its
> >> stated goal of a 5x speedup. Not even close. More like 1.5x
> >> (http://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-3146)
>
> > There must have been good reasons to predict a 5x increase.
>
>      For Java, adding a JIT improved performance by much more than that.
> Hard-code compilers for LISP have done much better than 5x.  The
> best Java and LISP compilers approach the speed of C, while CPython
> is generally considered to be roughly 60 times slower than C.  So
> 5x probably looked like a conservative goal.  For Google, a company
> which buys servers by the acre, a 5x speedup would have a big payoff.
>
> > Assuming the 5x speedup was shown to be viable (ie. performing the
> > same benchmarks, on the same data, can be done that quickly in any
> > other language, and allowing for the overheads associated with
> > Python's dynamic nature), then what went wrong?
>
>       Python is defined by what a naive interpreter with late binding
> and dynamic name lookups, like CPython, can easily implement.  Simply
> emulating the semantics of CPython with generated code doesn't help
> all that much.
>
>       Because you can "monkey patch" Python objects from outside the
> class, a local compiler, like a JIT, can't turn name lookups into hard
> bindings.  Nor can it make reliable decisions about the types of
> objects.  That adds a sizable performance penalty. Short of global
> program analysis, the compiler can't tell when code for the hard cases
> needs to be generated.  So the hard-case code, where you figure out at
> run-time, for ever use of "+", whether "+" is addition or concatenation,
> has to be generated every time.  Making that decision is far slower
> than doing an add.

This isn't completely accurate.  It *is* possible to write a JIT
compiler
for a Python runtime which has fast path code for the common case, the
case
where the meaning of "+" doesn't change between every opcode.  PyPy
has
produced some pretty good results with this approach.

For those who haven't seen it yet, http://speed.pypy.org/ has some
graphs
which reflect fairly well on PyPy's performance for benchmarks that
are not
entirely dissimilar to real world code.

Jean-Paul